Sole Sisters

Sole Sisters

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why I Run

People always ask me why I run. "Isn't it boring?" "What do you think about?" "Don't your legs get tired?" So for my first blog ever, I figured this is a good question to start with.

First off, for me, running is a way to stay fit. It's accessible, variable, challenging, progressive, and a way for me to burn off (and gain) some energy. All you really need is a pair of shoes and you're good to go. Most people burn approximately 100 calories/mile running. You get some great leg muscles, more body awareness, and after a while, climbing those stairs at work doesn't leave you as winded. Its a great way to set goals, make plans, and see weekly improvement. Soon after starting, you realize that block isn't really that long around or that walk to get a coffee isn't really that far. And maybe your dog (or husband) will get some exercise alongside you!

But for me, running is so much more. Years ago when I started, it was a way for me to stay connected to my family. Way more on my family later, but every race through my first few years was accomplished with the help of my family. Sure, lots of families go on vacations together, spend weekends together grilling out, have holidays where they sleep in, eat lots of food and stay up late. My family's a bit different. For the past 10 years, we've been getting together for races. My brothers (who are very accomplished ultra-runners) and I have seen my Dad complete his 50 States, I've crewed for Brad on some 100 milers, and we supported Matt as he ran across the state of Florida. I ran my first 5k, 10k, and marathon with my Dad. I ran my first 24 hour run with both parents, both brothers, and a sister-in-law. You could definitely say, unequivocally, that its a family affair. We talk about training, racing, nutrition, and recovery every time we get together. And I couldn't even imagine where I'd be without them. To me, running means family.

Running is also my social time. I'm fortunate enough to have an incredible network of runners around me for training and racing. These girls all started as training partners on a relay team and have grown into sisters. We run, race, train, travel, eat, rest, text (obviously), and laugh together. We've seen each other through tragedy, loss, engagements, marriage, divorce, relocation, births, birthdays, and injury. Somehow we get through these milestones with our company and the road. When I picture myself running, I picture myself in this group, laughing and chatting the miles away.

So sure, running can be boring. It definitely makes my legs tired. Sometimes I think about lots of things, sometimes I think about nothing. But what running does bring me - closer to my family and a network of amazing, inspiring women - far outweighs any negative aspects. Its what I do, what I believe in, when I feel at my best. So find some training partners, get your family active, be an inspiration. Find what it is that brings you closer to an active lifestyle. The payoff is huge.

That's why I run.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog post Katie! Glad you finally joined the blogger world! :) I do have to tell you, I AM enjoying running. The longest I had ever run was 5 miles before training for this half marathon. And, let me tell you, I HATED running. But, my mind has been changed. And you are a part of it. I thoroughly enjoy your class each week and your encouragement to us to go out there and run. I ran 8 this past weekend and felt GREAT! See you in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I too run for many of the same reasons. You have been an inspiration to me and I am a better runner because of you. I am honored to be one of the ladies who gets to run with you (although not as often as I would like nowadays!). Thanks for sharing!

    www.runningbythebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. my friend, running partner in a far away place....I feel your words and I wish I could run with you and your girls all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    You are not only a great circuit instructor, accomplished runner, very nice/happy/positive person...but you are a very good writer too. Way to go!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete