Sole Sisters

Sole Sisters

Monday, February 6, 2012

Adaptation

"To get something you've never had, you have to be willing to do something you've never done."

This is a very powerful quote for me and one I remind myself of at least once every day, especially on Wednesdays. Wednesdays is speedwork day. Speedwork is hard and it hurts. I mean hurts like nothing else. But I knew if I wanted to run better than I ever had, it was crucial that I add this in. Before last summer, I had never done speedwork and finished at least 4 marathons in just a few months at virtually the same pace. If I wanted to get faster, I knew I had to do something different. Something I had never done. After a few months of speedwork I ran my PR. Finally.

Another favorite quote of mine is the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I get asked all the time what it takes to be fit. Being fit is not easy. It requires diligent effort, extreme dedication, and a willingness to be uncomfortable. I repeat - if you do what you've always done then you'll stay where you've always been. You must be willing to go out of your comfort zone if you want to see progress. Muscles break down during strenuous exercise, this is what makes you sore. You need some level of this break down in order to come back stronger the next time. Over time you'll need more (or different) stimulus to achieve the challenge. THIS IS NORMAL. If you keep walking on a treadmill at the same speed for the same amount of time at the same level of incline time and time again then chances are your forward progress will stall out in two weeks flat. The human body is an amazing organism that can adapt to pretty much anything. Because of this we can run marathons, race triathlons, or row 10,000 meters. Or we can spend 40 hours a week sitting at a computer, work the night shift, or eat a crappy diet. Our bodies will adapt to the stresses placed on it, whatever that stress may be. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE! Spend some time getting stronger, lift weights, train your heart to work harder. Your body will adjust, adapt and be better for it. Likewise if you eat terrible food, sit at a desk for 8 hours, watch television for 4 hours and sleep for 6, your body will adapt to this. Don't be surprised when what you get out of your program is the direct result of what you put into it. That, in fact, is exactly what the body is supposed to do!

What kind of adaptation do you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment