Sole Sisters

Sole Sisters

Saturday, March 17, 2012

RNR New Orleans Marathon Race Report



It was brought to my attention that my race report from the RNR Nola (3/4/12) should be posted, as its rather (2 weeks) late. And I agree! Especially before I embark on the Tobacco Road Marathon tomorrow and will surely cloud my post Nola race mind with another experience :)

I have to say, I didn't expect much from New Orleans. I am always excited to explore a new city, one that I haven't been to, and my favorite way to do such exploring is through a long run. I had heard several negative reviews about the city so I definitely had my guard up during packing, preparation and travel. Once again, it was Danielle, Tracy and I set to run. We drove out Friday for a Sunday race. Upon arrival we dumped our luggage at the hotel at 8pm and went exploring. We found Burbon Street without much trouble but could only handle the sensory overload for about a half hour before we retreated to a restaurant for a late dinner. I saw things on that street that will stay in my memory forever - unfortunately. That particular street was, and never will be, the place for me. The rest of the city, however - magnificent.

We woke the next day with a plan of action. We left the hotel and walked down to Cafe Du Monde to experience N'awlins at its finest - with beignets and cafe au laits. It was interesting, crowded, loud, rushed, and absolutely amazing. Set along the water with incredible architectural views as far as you could see, the cloudy/rainy weather didn't even dampen our experience.

After "breakfast" we headed to packet pick-up. Since I was battling some foot pain and wanted to avoid too much walking we grabbed a cab to get us to the Convention Center. Our cab driver was a young guy from Russia who moved to New Orleans "for the weather". He couldn't understand why we came all the way from Florida to run. He asked, "Do you win?" We chuckled and told him that yes, of course, we win all our races ;)

After packet pick-up we found our way back to the hotel in time to meet my cousin, Amanda, who lives in Houma, just north of Nola. She drove us around the beautiful parts of the city including the garden district, and we had lunch. A wonderful afternoon all in all.

Dinner was across the street from our hotel - Mr. B's. THE best shrimp and grits I've ever had, bar none. Totally lived up to all the hype and worth every dime. You should go.

Okay, so on to the actual race (seeing as this is a race report, I suppose...). Race start was 7am. We left the hotel to walk the half mile down just after 6 and got there in plenty of time to rotate through the bathroom line a few times. Weather was perfect, 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Shorts, visors, and THL shirts, as usual. Race start was smooth, easy, and we were off. The first 8 miles were on St. Charles Avenue with stunning live oaks hanging over the street, bands playing music every couple miles, and well-stocked aid stations. Around the 11 mile mark I found myself running past the St. Louis Cemetary #3 (the largest in the city and most accessible). That was an amazing view, one that I'll never forget. Soon after we split from the 1/2ers.

Usually when we run these races, especially the races with such a huge percentage of the runners doing the 1/2, we're disappointed by the second half. Understandably, it seems race directors make the first half the more beautiful, scenic, and pleasing part of the race, as there are always so many more people running that part. This course was the first I've run in a long time when I felt the second half was as beautiful, if not more, than the first. We spend miles 16-22 running along Lakeshore Drive, which parallels Lake Pontchartrain. This part was my favorite part of the race. Usually these miles are synonomous with "the wall" but with the views of a lake so large it looked like an ocean, the breezes blowing off said lake, the brilliant sunshine, and the oncoming runners from the out-and-back course design provided constant distraction and appreciation for the sport. I could not have felt better. The foot pain that had been bugging me since Wednesday failed to show its face. Danielle and I ran along this part of the course with ease, smiling and waving at all the fellow marathon maniacs we had met in previous races. In no time we were on the home stretch back around, running around the art museum and down the finish line shoot. We crossed the finish line with the biggest smiles you could imagine. We met up with Tracy soon after, mingled with our maniac friends, and then found the shuttles back to the start line.

I've done a lot of Rock and Roll events over the years. I love Virginia Beach, I love Nashville, I like a few others, but I have never had as wonderful an experience as this one. New Orleans put together a class act of a race, welcomed us runners, treated us like family, and showcased itself well. Seldom do I repeat marathons, especially on my quest to reach my goals, but I absolutely cannot wait to do this one again next year.
10 states down, 40 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment